Monday, August 2, 2010

Hearty family menu plans

Had a domestic mom moment today.  Really wanted to get a lot done this weekend but ran out of time.  So, today I made the Strawberry Jam found here and used up some bananas for something other than smoothies.  Used up all of my energy baking and canning so just a menu plan, no grocery list.

I was able to get everything except the jam supplies within my budget.  Kroger had some pretty good deals to help build my stock pile.  I was even more motivated to stay under budget after reading this article on a mom who plans her meals for under $5.00.  Check out her article in HomeLife Magazine.  I don't know if I am able to do as she does, but she has challenged me to be more creative and continue with the Grocery Game.


Monday -
Our family does not eat pork very often, but these pork chops are the best.  I buy the thin, boneless, trimmed chops.  This is one of my familis favorites.  The Ranch Rice is a must because the flavors combine to make a great savory flavor.  Just a couple ways to make it a little healthier - brown rice/ 98% fat free mushroom soup / skim milk.
Ranch pork chops with Ranch Rice
Peas

Strawberry Jam
Banana Bread


Tuesday -
Chicken fajitas - time saver: I have found the 3 pepper onion blend in Kroger's frozen foods that are great with the trimmed chicken breast and home made seasoning blend.

Wednesday -
Roast made in crock pot with potatoes/ carrots and onions

Thursday -
Chicken Pasta stir fry (pampered chef recipe - but don't know the source. )
Made with whole wheat linguine/ yellow squash / carrots/ zucchini
Side salad

Friday -
Tacos

 Enjoy the extra saving and the time you can spend with your family around the dinner table.  Check out the $5 Dinner Mom and save even more.  I am going to take her tips and try to see if next week I can pull together at least two meals for $5 or less.

Happy cooking and Happy meal planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive