Thursday, October 21, 2010

Skillet Black Beans and Corn

This is actually something that I came up with all on my own because the black bean and corn salsa that I wanted to make is one that has to sit for at least 24 hours and I didn't make it the night before.  Hmmm...so much for planning ahead. =)

My mother in law had made some skillet corn for us one year and I loved it so much so I thought I would try to copy her but add a Mexican flair with the black beans.

First, I take my cast iron skillet and add a little extra virgin olive oil and some corn meal.  Then I add a package of frozen corn and let it sizzle in the skillet just until the corn is cooked a little and the corn meal is golden brown.  Next, I add a can of drained black beans and stir it all up.  I add in some seasonings.  Honestly, I didn't write down all that I used - I wished I had because the first time I made it was better than the second.  Needless to say, I will need to adjust and get a real recipe.

I generally use garlic - I love fresh, but this time I just used garlic salt with a little bit of parsley.  I also added cumin and a little bit of chili powder.  I really just wanted to get some flavor in the beans.   Lastly, I added a pinch of sugar to sweeten up the corn.

My husband and kids loved this recipe and it was very simple which makes me love it even more. 

We serve this with fajitas, enchiladas, or tacos.  Its a nice change from refried beans which was my old standby - and just as easy to make.

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 12 - 16 oz pkg frozen corn or 4 - 5 fresh cobs
1 small can of black beans drained
1 t garlic salt
1/4 t parsley
1/4 t cumin
1/8 t sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive